February 6, 2012

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

My Rating: 5/5 stars

SYNOPSIS: Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.



My Review: What a wonderful debut novel for Beth Revis! I haven't read a book this good in a long time! I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this story in all honesty. I mean, how many good YA romnacy sci-fi  novels can you name off the top of your head? My point exactly. After reading this, however; I'm begging for more. This novel sucks you in from the very beginning and doesn't let go. I found myself constantly thinking, "how on earth are Amy and Elder going to figure this out? What is Revis going to do next?" There isn't a dull moment in this book!

I LOVED the characters as well. I felt I could really relate to Amy, partially because we both have red hair (haha i know... stupid, right?) but also because she was a very "real" character. She never had a problem to say how she felt to whomever she wanted and always stuck to her values. Elder on the other hand just really intrigued me. I loved how he was a bit quirky and awkward, especially around Amy, but a fierce leader none the less. I also loved how you never quite knew who he stood with throughout the book until the very ending. The budding romance between Amy and Elder was perfect, especially for the first book in a series. I HATE romances that move to fast and leave nothing exciting for the rest of the series, but the, dare I say, sexual tension between these two was really quite something! 


In my opinion , this would make a FANTASTIC movie!!! (If it was done well. You know Hollywood these days...seesh)


No comments:

Post a Comment