February 6, 2012

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks


my rating: 5/5 stars


SYNOPSIS: Seventeen year-old Veronica “Ronnie” Miller’s life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved from New York City to Wilmington, North Carolina. Three years later, she remains angry and alienated from her parents, especially her father… until her mother decides it would be in everyone’s best interest if she spent the summer in Wilmington with him. Ronnie’s father, a former concert pianist and teacher, is living a quiet life in the beach town, immersed in creating a work of art that will become the centerpiece of a local church. The tale that unfolds is an unforgettable story about love in its myriad forms – first love, the love between parents and children – that demonstrates, as only a Nicholas Sparks novel can, the many ways that deeply felt relationships can break our hearts… and heal them. 



My Review: Wow, this book really blew away my expectations! Being the first Sparks book I've ever read, and knowing the movie script was written before the book (specifically for Miley Cyrus. Gag!) I dove into The Last Song with very little faith it was going to be an enjoyable read. Well, surprise! I liked it! No, scratch that; I LOVED it. I truly loved everything about this book. What a wonderful coming of age/romance novel! 

The characters: rebellious Ronnie, who didn't let any one see the real her. Charming and oh-so swoon worthy Will with a big, warm heart. Adorable little Jonah, who reminded me of my little brother so much. And last but not least, Steve, Ronnie's Dad. The man who was a mystery up until the end, and the man who made this book and emotional roller coaster ride that was so unbelievably real. I'm not kidding when I say I cried the Last 80 pages of this book. Seriously. It really happened. I still felt the raw puffiness in my eyes the next day after finishing the story. 

Everything in this book felt so real and genuine. The emotions, the relationships, how the story evolved even. It was just such and incredible and heart warming novel. If you were like me and never read a Sparks book before, I highly suggest you start out with this one. You will not be disappointed :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment