February 11, 2012

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin


my rating: 5/5 stars

SYNOPSIS: Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.



My Review: I am uncharacteristically speechless after reading this book...and I mean that in the best way possible! The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is unlike anything I have read in the past. It's categorized as a fantasy novel, but I wouldn't really call it that. This book is more like a masterfully crafted paranormal thriller/romance that had me laughing hysterically one moment, to shivering underneath my covers the next. 

I could not put down this book! I started it in the afternoon with no intentions of finishing, but by 1AM, all 452 pages were completed. Seriously, the mysteries in this book made me itching to find out what would happen next! Hodkin Started the novel out with a bang and I was hooked from there. The characters she created were wonderful in my opinion too; flawed, but real. 

Mara was a wonderful protagonist. I think shes one of those characters you'll either love or hate, which is why I think this book has so many mixed reviews. She was very strong willed and didn't take crap from anyone (especially Anna), which i loved! I never get tired of an adamant female character who can stick up for herself. On the other hand, Noah and Jamie were also fabulous characters that almost made me pee my pants laughing a couple of times! And speaking of Noah, I think I have found my new bad boy fictional boyfriend. Yes. Alas, I have made the decision to leave Etienne St. Clair (Anna and the French Kiss) For Noah Shaw. Oh, Noah...*sighs* I'm reluctant to admit that I have a soft spot for bad boys ;) 

Bad boys and Noah Shaw fantasies aside, this book was fabulous. The ending seriously left me hanging! It left a cold shiver up my spine that I wont forget until I read the sequel. Hodkin, girl, you need to get working on that! Not even a measly release date of book two to ease my wonder? I don't know if I can wait much longer! In the meantime though, If you haven't read this book yet, I highly suggest you do so.



No comments:

Post a Comment