February 9, 2012

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger


my rating: 1/5 stars


SYNOPSIS: Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face. 

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

My Review: Before I dive into this review, I just want to clarify. Yes, that is a 1 star rating you see above you--and no, it's not a mistake. I also didn't read this book in its entirety because , well, I just couldn't get through it all! Uhh, I hate being so mean to books, but I just flat out was not impressed at ALL by this one. After reading so many rave reviews by fellow bloggers and Goodreads junkies alike, I thought there is no way I wont like this book! Boy, was I wrong. 

I have to give Keplinger credit though. After all, she started writing this thing at age 17. Yeah...17! This book was even published before she graduated high school, so mad props to her. Still, this book just didn't do it for me. Becca was one of those main characters who was just so darn-tootin' annoying! Look, I know she had some family problems with her parents not getting along and all, but for goodness sakes woman, don't randomly hook up with some pretty boy-jackass (numerous times I might add) to distract from your reality! For me, Becca was just a very weak, whiny character, and I really didn't enjoy reading her story.

Wesley, unfortunately wasn't much better. First of all, the boy called Becca the D.U.F.F (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) of her friend group. WHO DOES THAT? OH, I KNOW; ASSHOLES WHO CLEARLY AREN'T WORTH YOUR TIME AND YOU SHOULD NEVER TALK TO AGAIN, LET ALONE KISS!  Also, this guy was constantly being an ass to her the whole time I was reading the book,  so what do you think a rational person would do? That's right, get out of that "relationship." Not Becca though! She needs a fuck buddy to get through her problems! What message do you think that is sending to the young readers out there? Not a very good one, that's for sure. 

The last little rant I will do is about the plot itself. I really can't tell you much without giving away some of the book, so I will just be vague on this one. For me, everything between Becca and Wesley didn't seem very believable at all. I kept thinking to myself, "how in gods name did that just happen? And why?" Or, "Really. REALLY KEPLINGER?!" .....*sigh* 

I wouldn't recommend this book, obviously. Perhaps long ago my 8th grade self would have enjoyed this story, but alas, those days are gone along with my poor taste in literature. Countless others seemed to have enjoyed this book though, so who knows. Maybe The Duff will become your favorite book of all time! I know for me though, I probably won't ever pick it up again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment